Broccoli Pasta Casserole is an extra comfort food because it has two layers of sauces. A white sauce with the broccoli and a red sauce with the pasta. Good!
Broccoli Pasta Casserole has a little extra umph in the comfort food department because it has two layers of sauces. A white sauce with the broccoli and a red sauce with the pasta.
None of it is hard to make, in fact, the red sauce starts with a jarred spaghetti sauce. Your whole family will love you for it and who can turn down broccoli when it has a cheesey sauce (vegan).
Serve with a salad and garlic bread. Yes!
Broccoli Pasta Bake
Broccoli Pasta Casserole is an extra comfort food because it has two layers of sauces.
- 2 cups broccoli washed and cut into large florets
- 2 cups rotini pasta uncooked
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil organic
- 1 onion yellow, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups Spaghetti Sauce organic
- 2/3 cup dairy free milk unsweetened
- 6 ounce dairy free cream cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees,
- Lightly grease (oil) a 9" x 13" casserole or two 6" x 8" casseroles. The two smaller casserole dishes are for if you want to save one for later.
- Steam broccoli in a steaming basket or a saucepot steamer, until crisp tender - about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Reserve the liquid.
- Cook pasta al dente about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil and 1 Tablespoon water in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and saute about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce over the onion, bell pepper, garlic mixture.
- Stir and heat through. Set aside.
To a small saucepan add dairy free milk and dairy free cream cheese. Set on low.
- Stir until it is well blended and the cream cheese is completed melted. Set aside.
- Spread out the steamed broccoli in the casserole (or casseroles).
- Pour the melted cream cheese and milk mixture over the broccoli. Stir a bit to coat all the broccoli.
- Put the rotini pasta to the skillet that has the onion red sauce mixture. Mix well.
- Pour the rotini pasta mixture over the broccoli mixture in the casserole (or casseroles).
- Do not stir these two together. They should stay in separate layers.
- At this point you an freeze the casserole (see below).
- To bake and eat now bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a salad and garlic bread.
Freeze before baking only.
Please follow any of the directions defined in my article http://veganinthefreezer.com/preparing-food-for-the-freezer
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Take out of freezer and put in the refrigerator at least 6 to 8 hours before baking (or the day before). Bake, covered at 350° for 20 minutes and then uncover and bake for 10 minutes.