This is the New Broccoli Casserole recipe. Creamy Portabella Mushroom Soup is added to the mix and it has a crispy top after the recipe has baked. Yums!
This is the New Broccoli Casserole recipe. It is very much like the old popular side dish that was cooked for the family holidays but it has been updated and veganized. Creamy Portabella Mushroom Soup is added to the mix and it has a crispy top after the recipe has baked.
Casseroles are one of my favorite types of recipes whether it is to cook, serve or eat. They can be prepared for a side dish or a whole meal but either way they make life easier and look very appetizing when completed. If you remember the broccoli casseroles of your past you have got to try this healthier version.
The New Broccoli Casserole
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups large head of broccoli, cut into florets, I'm not sure of the measurement that you'll end up with - but use one large head of broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup bread crumbs, I use a processor and a bagel, divided in half
- 10 ounce vegan mushroom soup such as Imagine Organic Creamy Portabella Mushroom Soup. it comes in a tall skinny box like vegetable broth .
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- Lightly oil a 9" x 9" casserole dish (or 2 smaller ones)
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Saute the onion for about 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, no need to cook at all at this point.
- Add the soup, cheese and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs.
- Stir and heat through, on low, to blend all.
- Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Cover with the remainder 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.
- This is when you need to freeze if you are going that route. You can not freeze the leftovers.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Please follow any of the directions defined in my article [http://veganinthefreezer.com/preparing-food-for-the-freezer
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Take out of freezer and put in the refrigerator at least 6 to 8 hours before baking (or the day before). Bake, covered at 350° for 20 minutes and then uncover for 20 minutes.