Vegan Broccoli Rice Casserole is a favorite for rice-loving children and us big kids, too. Easy to make and a classic recipe all year round.
Have you ever noticed how much children like rice? Of course, it usually has soy sauce on it but this Broccoli Brown Rice Casserole is another favorite for little ones.
It's such a relief when kids look really happy when they get to the dinner table. Or even before that, when they say, "What's for dinner?"
The cheese is a mild one. I used a vegan Jack cheese that melts and melds along with the sweet green bell peppers.
Brown rice also makes the dinner seem heartier. It has a unique flavor that stands out as a star.
Table of Contents
How Does Brown Rice Become White?
- Rice is a grain; brown and white rice come from the same grain.
- When only the outer layer of the husk is removed, you have brown rice.
- To make white rice, the husk and the bran and germ layers are removed. There you have it - white rice.
Brown Rice sure goes great with broccoli. Simple and flavorful. As you can see in the photo, I served it alongside edamame and crunchy garlic bread.
Man, that makes my stomach growl.
Not only is this a wonderful meal throughout the week, but it is a classic served at all the holidays from Easter to Christmas.
It's quick, and all ingredients are easy to find, so a last-minute plan is doable.
Vegan Broccoli Rice Casserole as Comfort Food
This is an old-timey basic comfort food recipe. There are only 8 ingredients, and that's counting the salt and pepper. It's like one of those recipes you would have found in a Betty Crocker cookbook in the 60's.
Simple casserole cooking is something you need to have in your recipe box. It is family-pleasing and different enough that you don't feel like you are cooking the same old, same old.
You know when you can't think of what to cook for dinner? Well, this is a great recipe to build your dinner around.
Maybe a soup entree such as Slow Cooker Tomato Soup and crusty bread. You can always add a salad if you want even more greens. As I mentioned before, I served this with a side of steamed edamame.
This vegan broccoli rice casserole can serve 6 as a side, but we often have it as the main dish, and our servings become much larger. Then I would say it serves 4.
Truly, you can have this for lunch, too. It is so satisfying and sticks to your ribs.
Make enough for dinner, and you can heat the leftovers in seconds in the microwave.
Heat for about 30 seconds, stir, then heat another 30 seconds, and there you go. Quick and Simple!
Freeze before baking only.
Please follow any of the directions defined in my article Preparing Food for the Freezer
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Take it out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator at least 6 to 8 hours before baking (or the day before). Bake, covered at 350° for 20 minutes, uncover and bake for 10 minutes.
Vegan Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 4 cups broccoli - cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced , chopped
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- 8 ounces dairy-free jack cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Lightly oil a 9" x 9" baking dish.
- Steam the broccoli florets for 10 minutes only and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onion and bell pepper.
- Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Turn off the heat in the skillet.
- Stir in the cooked rice, broccoli, cheese, salt, and pepper. Turn all into the prepared casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.