Black Forest Cherry Muffins are moist and easy. Packed full of cherries and a bit of chocolate these muffins are also dairy free. Great for breakfast and as a snack.
The early summer is here and cherries are ready for the picking. If you are lucky enough to be near some cherry orchards then make it an outing.
Picking your own fruit is so much fun. If you can’t make it then the farmer’s market will have some and there is always the grocery store. Since cherries are in season right now the price will be better too.
We went picking and got way to many to use right now so you know me. I froze a bunch. This recipe is wonderful using defrosted cherries too so make sure you get plenty.
Also, my husband has run out of sweet snacks and all the cherries gives me a chance to make these muffins again. There are little bits of chocolate spread throughout too and the texture is moist. Combined with the cherries Black Forest Cherry Muffins have become one of our favorites.
It sounds like my husband is a fatty. Nope. I just make him sound that way. He doesn’t pig out and he’s a very healthy eater. A grazer of small healthy food but he does enjoy his sweets on occasion.
I don’t know if you can tell but there was one missing when I took the photos below.
Seasonal cooking is the best way to cook. It is not only more flavorful but buying seasonally is less expensive. June is the beginning of summer and fruits and vegetables are starting to come with a wide variety of choices.
Cherries are at the front of the pack and one of my favorite fruits of all time. Shopping at local farmer’s markets is my favorite way to shop too. You can get out in the fresh air and schmooz with your neighbors while having fun shopping.
The farmers and sellers will be able to answer any questions you have about their produce. What a great way to shop. Most often the fruits and vegetables are also organic.
You know when you’re trying to plan your meals for the week or just plain trying to figure out what to make for tonight? Well, shopping seasonally also helps you be organized.
It reigns in your brain so that your options are fewer and planning goes much more quickly.
I made a list of most of the options that are available this month. Some are at the end of their growing season and some are at the beginning. Either way you can see the choices are abundant.
Why don’t you get cherries while you can and make these Black Forest Cherry Muffins first.
Seasonal Produce List!
Black Forest Cherry Muffins
Black Forest Cherry Muffins are packed full of cherries and a bit of chocolate.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Silk's Unsweetened Cashewmilk
- 2 tablespoons egg replacer and 6 tablespoons water I use chia eggs as my egg replacer of choice. If you use the seeds without making them a flour then let them set in the water longer. About 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup frozen cherries chopped up in little chunks
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Mix the egg replacer with the water and set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients (the first 9 ingredients) in a large bowl.
- Add Silk's dairy free milk and the egg replacer until just combined. Don't overwork.
- Add the chocolate and cherries and mix very gently. Do not overwork. Folding is best.
- Divide evenly in your muffin tin for 12 muffins.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. There may be some melted chocolate on the toothpick but no mix.
- Let set 10 minutes and then remove to cool completely on a wire rack.
TO FREEZE: After they have cooled you may freeze in freezer baggies. They defrost quickly so it really doesn't take any planning. The microwave will also zap them in 20 seconds.
I always use Silk dairy free milks in all of my recipes. There is just no other reason to use anything else. I am craving a glass of ice cold almond milk right now too.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.