Vegan Beef Bourguignon Slow Cooker is rich with taste, mushrooms, carrots and made in the slow cooker. So simple and you’ll be amazed at it’s depth of flavors.
Julia Child taught us how to cook Beef Bourguignon in the 60’s in her book “Mastering the Art of French Cooking”. Here is my very modest attempt at showing you how to cook it in a vegetarian manner. Yep, I tackled it and the results make me very happy. How can you go wrong with carrots and mushrooms?
The original recipe, Beef Bourguignon, is not a common meal in America. I think it is because people are intimidated by the process and the name. It is like a rich and delicious stew that must be cooked for hours to reach it’s potential. Fancy name or not he slow cooker works miracles for this process.
Also, I have played with all of the ingredients and switched it up so that vegans can enjoy the flavors while still knowing that everything is plant-based. All major ingredients are still there. Even the burgundy wine. You have to have that. There is no browning of beef because there isn’t any beef. Plant-based nuggets are added instead. I think the juices came out really delicious. Just right for dunking in your crusty bread.
Julia was not snooty in any way and I love her saying ‘I enjoy cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food I’m cooking.’ She would be so much fun to cook with and to eat with. I must thank her for all the inspiration that has come my way because of her cooking. There are so many more of her recipes that I would love to try and make vegan.
This was a great one to start with and don’t forget a big bowl of salad.
Beef Bourguignon - Slow Cooker
Vegan Beef Bourguignon Slow Cooker is rich with taste, mushrooms, carrots and made in the slow cooker.
- 18 ounces Gardein Homestyle Beefless Tips , that is 2 bags 9 oz. each, I cut each peiece in half, this is not a sponsored post I just happen to use Gardein because I like it so much
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free butter
- 1 cup yellow onion , diced
- 12 ounces carrots , sliced
- 2 cloves garlic , diced small
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth low sodium if you'd like to cut the salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup good burgundy wine
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- Heat the oil and a large skillet.
- Add the onion and carrot and saute about 10 to 15 minutes or until the onions come out translucent.
- Add 1 tablespoon dairy free butter.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add flour and stir to coat everything and cook for another minute. Make sure the flour have ben worked all the way in and does not show any dry flour.
- Add all of the ingredients from the skillet to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the broth, water, liquid smoke, tomato paste, wine, bay leaf, thyme and salt.
- Add the meat and stir.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About an hour before serving, saute the mushrooms in a tablespoon of butter for about 10 minutes.
- Add to the crockpot and cook another hour.
- Serve by itself or with noodles, potatoes or rice. Whatever is your hearts desire.
Let cool to room temperature.
Package in rigid sided containers.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Remove from the freezer and put in the refrigerator overnight because it is a pretty solid mass and will take longer to defrost.
The night of serving-
Put all in a large pan or skillet and heat through.<br />Ready to serve.