Vegan BBQ Chicken Sandwich is easily made from scratch. Tangy barbeque sauce is a flavor that one can’t forget so go ahead and enjoy.
Vegan BBQ Chicken Sandwich is a name that brings back happy memories for many. I think all us started eating barbecue sandwiches when we a were very very young.
Many restaurants were based around the tangy rich sweet red sauce. Not much more was on the menu besides corn and beans. Well, here’s a sandwich I bet you never say on the menu. Plant-based chicken along with sautéd onions and bell peppers make this sandwich unique and delicious.
All you have to do is chop and measure a few ingredients, heat up the mix in a skillet, pile it high on a bun and you will have one of the best sandwiches out there.
Sandwiches are sort of king in our house. You can go in any direction you want with a myriad of ingredients and another favorite that you might want to try is Loaded Chickpea Salad Sandwich. So different and yet so good.
I don’t think that barbecue sauce was bottled and offered until the 1940’s. That’s when the barbecue joints started popping up. They offered the casual and fun atmosphere just as pizza parlors do.
Follow this recipe to the tee and you will get the sweet and tangy sauce that we all love. A little of this and a little of that and you have a great meal. Try this recipe for your next casual lunch or dinner and you will receive some very nice compliments.
Vegan BBQ Chicken Sandwich
Vegan BBQ Chicken Sandwich is easily made from scratch.
- 9 ounces plant-based chicken tenders
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup small yellow onion finely diced
- 1 small green pepper finely diced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce you can buy the small can
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons vegan organic Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon mustard yellow, prepared
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion and green pepper and saute for about 5 minutes.
- While your veggies are sauteing cut up your plant-based chickens tenders. I cut mine in thirds and fourths, lengthwise. Depending how wide they are. Then I cut all of those slices in half.
Add the cut up meatless chicken pieces and cook about 10 more minutes and you will get a little browning on this chicken. This is good.
Add all the other ingredients to the pan and cook for 15 minutes or until the sauce has become thick and carmelized. Imagine it being on a bun so it needs to be thick.
All done. So easy!
Let cool to room temperature. Package in rigid sided containers
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Remove from the freezer and put in the refrigerator overnight because it is a pretty solid mass and will take longer to defrost.
When serving - Put all in a large saucepan and heat through. You could also heat in a microwave but cover the microwave safe bowl with a paper towel or it will splatter all over on the inside of your microwave.