5 Legume Soup Mix with Barley is an easy and updated gift. So pretty on the counter or fill jars as a gift for loved ones and attach the recipe.
I really wanted to call this Barley and 5 Bean Soup Mix but I would, sort of, be lying. I thought it might be easier to be found.
But truth be told, it is 5 legume because there are beans, lentils and split peas along with the barley.
The mix is updated from the old 5 bean type of mixes that were done in the 60’s and 70’s. Fill pint jars and tie with a ribbon for a gift of love.
Attach the recipe (included below) and you are golden.
Another great option is that the mix is so pretty you can make a jug full to display until you have used it all up.
How is 5 Legume Soup Mix Good For You?
Rich in antioxidants like polyphenols. That fights the effect of free radicals that help against aging, cancer, and inflammation.
Unbelievable source of protein. Through the roof!
Fight against diabetes as it may help stabilize blood glucose levels.
Perfect nutrient dense food.
Improves gut health by increasing healthy bacteria.
The healthy starches help food cravings.
It’s good for your heart as research suggests that it lowers cholesterol.
What are Some Other Food Gift in a Jar Ideas?
Something you can start to think of is pretty gift containers. Mason jars are a perfect classic gift jar. They are airtight and all you have to do is add a ribbon.
Places like World Market (one of the best) has a great variety of glass jars in all sizes, shapes, and lids.
Now for the inside – If you make homemade specialties like salsas or jams or caramel sauce are always welcome gifts.
Individually wrapped specialty candy or old-timey favorite candy life taffy is so fun!
Favorite teas with something like tiny sizes Earl Grey and English breakfast teas and a tea infuser would be well received.
Special homemade popcorn like Cranberry Caramel Popcorn needs to go in a larger airtight jar.
Brandied Cherries really sound great.
This gorgeous 5 Legume Soup Mix makes 8 cups. Dried. That’s multiple presents and when the recipe is taken advantage of the gift turns into many more cups.
I’m kind of clear glass jar crazy. The use of them gives you extra room in the pantry when you can leave jars of dried pasta and beans out on an island or on a counter.
How to Prepare 5 Legume Soup Mix
Besides the six legume, beans, and barley mix there are three vegetables, 5 spices and more. That all adds up to a great soup.
The instructions are clearer in the recipe card but you start by soaking the beans in a large stockpot.
After draining the beans then a few of the ingredients are added and you let it cook, covered, for a while.
Take advantage of the time and sauté a couple of the vegetables. When the cook time if up add the veggies and the remaining ingredients.
Cook a little longer and then enjoy the delicious soup! Pretty easy, heh?
Barley and 5 Legume Soup Mix
For the dried bean mix
- 32 ounces barley
- 32 ounces green split peas
- 16 ounces dried green lentils
- 16 ounces dried black beans
- 16 ounces dried pinto beans
- 16 ounces dried navy beans
Ingredients for the Soup (you can print these instructions to include wih a pint jar gift)
- 16 ounces barley and 5 legume soup mix - dried
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup small white onion, diced
- 1 1/4 cups carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Makes one large pretty jar for yourself or 8 pint jars for gifts.
- One recipe to attach to a pint gift jar.
- Empty the pint jar in a large stockpot and cover with water by two inches.
- Let set overnight, the beans will swell.
- Drain the beans and place back into the stockpot.
- Add vegetable broth and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, turn down heat and cook 1 1/2 hours.
- While this is cooking:
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Saute the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook one more minute.
- At the end of the cooking time for the beans add this sauteed mix.
- Add the tomatoes and all of the spices. Bring back to a boil then turn down to medium and cook 30 more minutes.
- Taste for seasoning with possibly a little more salt.
- Ready to serve.
This is the perfect soup to freeze, Spoon into rigid sided glass freezer safe containers.
It will store very well for 6 months.
To Prepare After Freezing:
Put in the refrigerator overnight to defrost.
Heat in a saucepan that suits the size of your soup and heat to boiling. Turn down the heat and cook a few minutes then serve.