Banana Bread Croutons are simple to make and starts with a square pan. A surprise for your friends and family and a special addition to salads.
I have been wanting to give this recipe to you for a long time now. Last summer a bunch of my relatives and I went on a trip to Maui.
We walked over to one of our favorite restaurants, Japengo , and had a wonderful couple of hours. It’s at the Hyatt but dining is outside in many areas and on the ocean. Oh oh, I started daydreaming .
My niece got this beautiful salad and in a surprised voice she says, “These are banana bread croutons!” “What?”, I said, just as surprised.
We both looked at each other with the same look on our faces and she says “You can put these on your blog!”
So here I am passing along this ‘little something extra’ that you can do at home – just like the cool fancy restaurants.
I used my recipe for Banana Bread Squares that is one of my earliest recipes on the blog. It’s a really popular recipe but you can use any banana bread recipe that you like.
Just make sure you put it in a square pan for easier preparation for the croutons.
Here is how you do it:
Banana Bread Croutons
- Make sure you use a square pan even if you use your own recipe.
- Remove from the pan and let cool.
- Slice in about 3/4" strips.
- Don't cut in squares yet. It is easier to toast this way.
- See the photo below. My pan was an 8"x8".
- Brush oil on a baking sheet.
- Lay the strips of banana bread on the baking sheet with a cut side down.
- Brush more oil on the top of each strip.
- Turn on your broiler and broil for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until just golden brown.
- Don't walk away. Check at 45 seconds and then at a minute. In the last few seconds they start to get very brown very quickly.
- Remove from the oven and flip each strip over so that the other cut side is up.
- Brush with oil again and lightly brown under the broiler as you did the other side.
- Take out of the over an let cool. Cut into cubes.
- The newly cut edges do not have to be toasted. The croutons will be crunchy enough as they are.
- Keep in an airtight container and serve on fresh salads.