Party Triple Chocolate Cupcakes have three textures of chocolate. Cakey cupcakes have chocolate chips inside and all is topped with a creamy frosting.
Time for chocolate! It’s been weeks since one of the most popular ingredients in the world has graced my pages. Musn’t be remiss!
I was just at a wedding where there were tiered stands with a large variety of cupcakes. Each type was marked with a black card and silver calligraphy. The varieties were from simple peanut butter and chocolate cupcakes to a more unusual salted caramel types. Really a beautiful display, something for everyone and people loved it. Let the dancing begin!
So now I am home and thinking of making my own cupcakes. Nothing too fancy this time just lots of good old fashioned chocolate. Triple Chocolate Cupcakes it is! For some reason I feel like dancing again.
Party Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup organic sugar or 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons Fair Trade cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely ground instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- cups you can substitute the above 8 ingredients with 2 Chocolate Cake and Baking Mix
more ingredients for the cupcake batter:
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup vegan butter
- 1/8 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons Fair Trade Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Place cupcake liners in 10 cupcake tins.
- Mix the vegan egg substitute and set aside. Follow package directions or use any of your favorite substitute.
For the Cupcakes:
- In a large bowl add the nondairy milk, coconut oil, vegan egg substitute, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for about a minute or two until well mixed. Scraping down a couple of times.
- To the same bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee, baking soda, cinnamon and salt (or the 2 cups of pre-prepared baking mix).
- Mix until well blended, scrapping down the sides.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 10 cupcake tins.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
- Cream the powdered sugar and vegan butter together.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Spread a big dollop of frosting on a cupcake and spread around. Tap the top with a clean knife to get the little peaks.
- Sprinkle with any sprinkles colors that you like.
Freeze without the frosting.
You may freeze them in any of the methods shown in my article Preparing Food for the Freezer.
They defrost quickly so it really doesn’t take any planning. Just put them in the refrigerator to defrost over night or set out on a plate and it will take an hour or so to defrost.
Make frosting and frost.