Homemade Kahlua has a perfect balance of sweetness that is shared with coffee and rum. Doesn’t it sound good already? Aged for 2 to 3 weeks.
Homemade Kahlua has a perfect balance of sweetness that is shared with coffee and rum. Doesn’t it sound good already? You put the ingredients together and then let it age for about two to three weeks. The result? A perfect coffee flavored liqueur that is excellent for sipping or mixing in many recipes that call for a celebration.
Homemade Kahlua brings back warm memories for me. Not that I got to drink it but I got to share the time with my mom while she made it. Well, don’t get me wrong. I did get a sip and even at 12 I knew Kahlua was a special drink. I have moms original recipe that is written on scratch paper – it is a bit dirty and I cherish it.
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- Stir sugar into hot coffee and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Let cool.
- Add the rum and vanilla pieces, stir.
- Cover and let set for 2 to 3 weeks in a cool place.
- Strain, remove beans and bottle.
- If you are using the vanilla extract then stir in and it is ready. It won't have quite the depth of flavor but it is good.
No freezing is necessary. It will keep -forever- meaning until you drink it all.