Everybody needs a good healthy Date Bran Muffins Recipe! The dates bring a wonderful sweetness and these little gems are so good with or without a topping.
Everybody needs a good healthy Date Bran Muffins Recipe! These are sort of, like, ‘in disguise’ and no one will know they are healthy muffins. If you leave out the word bran then you can even trick the kids. I don’t know why bran isn’t used more often.
I am going to make that my mission. Bring bran to the masses. Unite the nations! Make everybody happy! This is my first step.
I also love the sweetness that dates bring to recipes. These little gems are so good when they are served warm with or without any sort of topping. I like mine plain. Just delicious as you are sipping your morning beverage.
There is a trick to dicing dates. You use scissors! Dates like to stick together but cutting them gives you the best control for size and they don’t make a sticky clump like they do in a food processor.
Also, I used a bran bud type of cereal – not flakes. This gives the muffin more texture. You can even make half of the muffins and keep the batter in the fridge for up to 2 weeks if you would like to make two smaller batches. And … the finished the date bran muffins freeze perfectly too.
Date Bran Muffins
- Lightly oil 12 muffins cups and set aside.
- Soak the bran buds in boiling water.
- Let stand to cool.
- Mix the chia eggs and set aside. - A chia egg is actually made with chia seed meal/flour not the bare seed. The way you make meal/flour is by grinding the chia seed in a processor such as one for your coffee beans or a spice grinder. I use mine to strictly grind seeds so that I do not mix flavors. Grind until it is a fine meal. I do about 4 ounces at a time and keep it in a little freezer safe canning jar - in the freezer. When I need a Tablespoon or so it is all ready to go.
- In a large bowl add the soy milk, oil and sugar.
- Add the prepared eggs and mix.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the bran mixture and mix to just combine.
- Fold in the diced dates.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin cups.
- The cups will be full.
- Bake at 355 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Watch closely at the 20 minute mark.
- Transfer muffins to a rack and let cool.
After they have cooled you may freeze them for up to 6 months. They defrost quickly so it really doesn't take any planning. The microwave will also zap them in 20 seconds.