Chipotle Scones can be made as spicy as you want. I have used chipotle in adobo sauce so there is already lots of flavor. Taste buds really don’t need training for Mexican spiced food but it does get in your blood. I can not even imagine not having the flavors of the southwest to have, at least, on a weekly basis. These scones are great because they not only go so well with Mexican food but they also blend with many other types of food. I had them along side my Black Eyed Peas from the Slow Cooker and they were a match made in heaven. I can imagine pairings with soups, stews, beans and much more. Really easy to make and I hope you get to give them a try.
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- Mix your one egg replacer and set aside.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, cornmeal and cumin.
- Add the cold butter and wedged cheese (wait until later if you are using grated cheese) to the flour mixture.
- Cut in with a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse meal or as I call it, small crumbles.
- When I am cutting the butter and cheese into the flour I always stop when it gets closer to the end and use my fingers. I use a pinching and rolling motion and it gets blended perfectly.
- If you are using grated cheese add that now and mix together.
- Mix the soy milk and prepared egg replacer together and set aside 2 Tablespoon for using later when you brush the tops of the scones before baking.
- Add the liquid (except the 2 Tablespoons) to the dough mixture.
- Mix until just blended.
- Turn out on floured board.
- Knead 4 to 6 times until it, sort of, forms a ball.
- Divide in half.
- Make two rounds (as seen in the photo below) about 5" to 6" in diameter on a greased baking sheet.
- Cut into 6ths but not all the way through.
- Brush the tops of the scones rounds with the leftover egg replacer/soy milk mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
IF FREEZING: After they have cooled you may freeze them in any of the methods shown in my article http://veganinthefreezer.com/preparing-food-for-the-freezer/ They defrost quickly so it really doesn't take any planning. The microwave will also zap them in 10 to 15 seconds. For a fresh out of the oven feel you can bake them at 350 for about 8 minutes.